Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Weigh in Wednesday's ---What's for Dinner?

Week 3

A review of last week.....

I was successful in only spending $8.00 this past week at the grocery store and $3 of that was for a salad and chicken leg because I forgot my lunch one day!  I cooked all week and we ate leftovers.  I also froze some of the leftovers last week to use at a later time.  It feels good to be back on track and have a plan instead of just tossing money to Resturants and fast food places for meals.  Last week's menu was the following:

Saturday:  Steak & Chicken Fahitas, Spanish rice, steamed zucchini and yellow summer squash and German Apple Cake....my boss, friend and second mom to my daughter was over with her hubs for dinner.  Which made the cake a needed addition call me old fashioned but when we have guests I MUST serve a dessert!

Sunday "at Nona's":  My youngest Son, his wife who is a vegetarian and my granddaughter often come over for Sunday dinner.  We had leftovers!   My "daughter in love" enjoyed all the Fahitas veggies, Rice and zucchini.

Monday:  Italian Chicken Soup (recipe posted earlier blog)

Tuesday:  BBQ Chicken Wraps, canned corn and black beans (I steamed some leftover chicken tenders and shredded them in my mixer, I saw this on Pinterest and it works like a charm!  I then added BBQ sauce and reheated on the stove).  Yummy!

Wednesday:  Leftovers

Thursday:  Sausage Rigatoni, Frozen mixed veggies, garlic bread and pumpkin muffins (hubs has a sweet tooth so I found a recipe on Pinterest using only 3 ingredients!


Friday:  leftover Rigatoni


So realistically I cooked 4 meals and we had leftovers plus my hubs and I also had lunches from those 4 cooked meals!  I DID NOT have to buy anything as I already had all the ingredients at home. I feel very good about stretching my dollar this week!

Here's my recipe for the Sausage  Rigatoni

1 lb sweet Italian Sausage
1 teaspoon minced dry onion (I soak it in a small amount of water to rehydrate it)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 oregano
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (23oz)
1 box Rigatoni noodles (16oz)

First I remove the castings from the sausage if they happen to be in links.  I brown the sausage until no longer pink. Drain off fat and return to heat.  Add in the onion, garlic, basil and oregano and stir it all together for a minute or so.  Add in pasta sauce and bring to boil then lower to a slow simmer.  Prepare pasta according to package directions while the sauce is simmering.   Once pasta is done cooking drain and return noodles to the pot and mix the meat sauce in with the noodles.

This makes 6-8 servings

I do admit that my seasoning measurements are approximate because I kinda "eye ball it"....so you may want to season to your family's liking.


The pictures of the Sausage Rigatoni meal and the leftovers packed up and frozen from the Fahitas dinner, Italian Soup and BBQ chicken.

BTW....I lost 1 lb this week!   I walked a total of 6 miles this week too!  I think that eating the home cooked meals is making a bit of difference in not consuming excess calories.











No comments: