Sunday, September 20, 2015

Day 10 Traffic Jam....

"Stop a moment, cease your work, and look around you."--Thomas Carlyle

Ever been stuck in a Traffic Jam?  I've lived in St Louis, Missouri most of my adult life.  I know traffic jams all to well!  Now I live in Smithville, Missouri which is about 20 minutes north from downtown Kansas City, Missouri.  My morning commute to work is approximately 8 minutes, that's it.  But believe it or not even living in a small town surrounded by farm country I still get stuck in traffic jams.  The jams are different from the interstate or downtown city type traffic jams with cars and trucks bumper to bumper that most people would bring to mind.  I've been stuck behind tractors, men on horses, garbage trucks and geese, yes geese have no knowledge of time, unless they are trying to migrate somewhere.  Initially getting stuck behind said situations that create the traffic jams usually would cause a level of stress for me.  Not in an anger sort of way but I can defiantly tell the old blood pressure goes up a notch. I normally am always early to work so even if my "commute" lasts longer then 8 minutes I am always on time.  Why I feel this stress I'm unsure.  Is it the loss of control?  Is it because it effects  how early I was planning to get to work?  I don't know.

Last Thursday morning my daughter and I were "stuck in traffic" behind a tractor.  A truck in front of us was "gunning" his truck to try to pass going up a hill.  I used this man's poor driving to point out to my daughter who is currently learning to drive that his move to pass going up hill was a dangerous decision.  We also talked about how disrespectful the truck driver was honking his horn at the farmer on his tractor.  We have so much to thank farmers for, their hard work 24/7, the food that makes its way to our tables and one of the oldest professions in history is farming.

I have such fond memories of growing up on a farm in Wisconsin.  If you want to truly see God's beauty, go to Wisconsin farm country.  The summer days are warm and the nights are cool.  The rolling rocky hills, green grass and fields, the skies are blue and fluffy white clouds shaped in all things imagined with the hint of pine in the air.  That's what I remember growing up on our farm.  Dad and Mom called it "The 4/B Ranch", named after my siblings and I who's names all begin with "B".  When I think back to my happiest memories they always take me back to the farm years.  Besides my marriage to my husband and the birth of my three children, the farm in Wisconsin were my fondest memories.  Don't get me wrong, it was hard work and there was always work to be done.  But we also had a lot of fun!  Riding horses in the summer and riding snowmobiles in the winter.  Our farm and the land it was on was our playground.  It was a beautiful farm.  It is a beautiful memory.

My daughter and I were able to see a most beautiful sunrise following behind the farmer on his tractor,  I wonder if we would have noticed it if we hadn't been stuck in our little "Traffic Jam?"


No comments: